Sunday, September 14, 2008

Rudy's

So being new to Texas, I am discovering that I am new to barbeque. What I previously thought was "bbq" has turned out to be grilling. With that as a backdrop, my first major intersection with Texas style bbq was at a restaurant chain called "Rudy's." In Austin, there are four Rudy's locations and I have now been to 3 of the 4. I can attest that in general, they are all of the same quality; and that quality is mouth wateringly good. You begin your adventure at Rudy's by ordering from the front counter where the feel is more of a butcher shop than a dining establishment, however the smells wafting from behind the counter make your mouth water unlike any butcher shop I've ever been to. It is standard fare to ask if it's your first time at Rudy's, and if you answer in the affirmative, they will all yell something akin to "We got a new one!" You will then be presented with samples of any of the meats or sides that they serve, and I highly recommend that you try them all. My favorite at Rudy's is definitely the moist brisket, but the turkey is also quite excellent. I wouldn't bother with either the sausage or the pork ribs, but the baby back ribs should be tried. The meats are all served on butcher paper and if you are planning to make sandwiches out of it, you will also receive stacks of white bread free of charge. The sides are decent, particularly the coleslaw and creamed corn, but at Rudy's, the meat is the thing and with very affordable prices, you can get more than enough for a family of four for around $20. Because of the price and the easily accessible locations combined with excellent fare, Rudy's has quickly turned into one of my favorite Austin dining establishments. In less than a month, we've already had Rudy's 4 or 5 times despite plenty of other fine restaurants vying for our business. Don't miss Rudy's if you come to Austin.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mmm. Sounds good. Look forward to trying it when we come out there.